Friday Roundup for Week 8
The other thing is, remember the job that I quit last September in order to stay home and write full time? They called me last Friday and asked if I might be available to help fill in for a couple of weeks while they train a new tech. And like the silly person I am, I said yes. (Funny story about this: I initially thought it was my dentist’s office calling to remind me of an appointment. So when they asked if I might be able to tech for them for a couple of weeks, I was utterly confused, hence my not-so-thought-through answer.)
It’s been sort of amazing to see how quickly I can jump back into things at the office. Like, zero training needed. Hi, I’m back in the fray. That said, it has taken a bit of a toll on my weekly accomplishments. Read on.
What I Read
- I finished The Sweet Far Thing! Were all 800 pages really and truly required? Meh. But I’m not going to go on here and criticize Libba Bray’s revising decisions. What’s done is done. The book was pretty good. A part of me has me hoping for a connection between the Realms and the Diviners trilogy. Gemma did show up in Evie’s world, after all!
- I needed a light read after that brick of a book, so I raced through Tuck Everlasting. Gorgeous language, but the plot wasn’t my favorite. Also, the “love story” between the 10-year-old Winnie and the suspended-at-17-but-really-over-100-years-old Jesse was not believable and mildly creepy. I was in love with Jesse, yes. But I couldn’t bring myself to feel the love between him and Winnie.
- Current Moby Dick status: I’ve just heard about all the good portrayals of whales from Melville. Er, Ishmael.
What I Ate
- I haven’t really cooked much this week (though I am going to be whipping up a lovely steak dinner this evening). That said, I have been making a concerted effort to stay below the WHO’s recommendation of 25 grams of sugar/day for an Uproxx article I’m writing. Let me tell you, it’s required some discipline. Especially when I wanted to eat my entire pint of Ben and Jerry’s Half Baked on Tuesday. But I’ve been doing good, and my body seems really happy with the change. The real question is whether I’ll be able to sustain the discipline when I’m not doing it for an article. I hope the answer is yes.
What I Watched
- I saw The Big Short this weekend! It was great. I think I still only understand about 80% of what happened in 2007/2008 with the collapse of the housing bubble, but 80% is certainly better than 10%, right? Highly entertaining film. I loved how meta it was.
What I Wrote
- MOAR stuff for Uproxx! Which has been stressful, working three days at the eye doctor’s on top of it. Thank goodness this February has 29 days in it.
- I also got a tiny bit more of Basically Yours done. Again. Eye doctor’s work has really cut into any writing time I have at all. Boo. Hiss.
- No word from Exclusive Query agent. Waiting, waiting.
What I Accomplished
- Moved on to Germany memories in the Great Digital Upload of 2016. So much fun stuff I’d forgotten about! All of it going into da trash bin. As soon as I scan it.