Well, this week passed in a haze. Monday I spent most of the day running errands, and Thursday I had a crum-tastic dentist appointment that swallowed up my entire morning and made my jaw hurt real bad, to boot. Other than that, I’ve been (mostly) killing the Truman schedule. I say (mostly) because the internet does tend to distract. But in my defense, it wasn’t around in Truman’s time. So there.
What I Read
- Steadily progressing on my Moby Dick re-readathon. I should use a sea metaphor. Pushing through the waters? Sailing on? It’s still proving to be mostly delightful. I mean, check out this line, talking of Nantucketers: “With the landless gull, that at sunset folds her wings and is rocked to sleep between billows; so at nighfall, the Nantucketer, out of sight of land, furls his sails, and lays him to his rest, while under his very pillow rush herds of walruses and whales.” !!!
- I finished Carry On. Yes, the romance was just as satisfying as I’d hoped. There was much weeping.
- I Crawl Through It. Wow. I was afraid I wouldn’t like this book, or even get it, because it’s so strange and surreal, but I completely picked up with Amy was putting down. It was so fascinating and wonderful. And I got to hear her read it herself!
- I also read This Raging Light in its entirety on Monday. What else was I supposed to do while I was waiting for my oil change? Again, much weeping, but in unexpected places.
- I slogged through Snowpiercer, the French graphic novel (translated, of course, into English). Lots of unnecessary boobs and misogyny in general. This is one case where the movie is definitely better than the book.
- By way of my picture books for the month, I read both We’re Going On a Bear Hunt and Grandfather’s Journey. The latter was unexpectedly touching.
- Finally, I finished Five Children and It. Watch out for that review on Monday.
What I Ate
- I made this tried-and-true Mexican Vegetable Soup. It’s good for fast days around here, and so healthy.
- I also made this seared salmon topped with a soy, scallion, and ginger sauce. Another favorite ’round these parts.
What I Watched
- Ugh. For various reasons, I went to see The Revenant. That is all. (So much pain! So much horse peril! I literally was covering my face with a scarf for part of the time, because I just couldn’t handle it.)
What I Wrote
- Various Uproxx pieces, as my editor is back from vaycay and ready to party. My biggest viral piece was a writeup of advice for the Powerball winners. Fun stuff.
- Unanchored revisions are still going well. Right now, Isabel is spending a day with Sad-Eyes Nick. Which may not mean much to you now. But. (Sob. Sad-Eyes Nick.)
What I Learned
- Russian is whack, yo.
What I Accomplished
- I slaughtered KonMarie’ing the house this past weekend. WOO. Feels good. I’ve also been pressing on with my scanning, which can really be addicting, when listening to a good audiobook.
- I also finished that big project that was hanging over my head last week; namely, a drawing of C.S. Lewis for a friend. Glad I was finally able to get it out to her.
Welp, that’s just about it for now. I’m hoping this week brings…good things. Ambiguously speaking. We’ll see.