Happeh New Yur, Here Are Some Resolutions
Le sigh. I tell myself this sort of thing every year. (Well, minus the whole 366-days-plus-new-president thing.) Because somehow, resetting the clock to zero makes everything seem fresh and sparkly and new. Chowing down on barbecue daily and getting sozzled on beer nightly? No problem! It’s January 1! You and your liver are as clear as Perrier! Haven’t worked out since December hit? Ain’t no thing. It’s January now.
You get the point. It’s silly, but it’s true. I always make fun of myself for making resolutions, then I always turn right back around and make them at zero hour. Most revolve around me trying to be a Grown-Ass Adult. Get up at 6 a.m. Exercise regularly. Generally get stuff done and don’t shove it off for weeks and weeks.
And while I’d like to pretend this year’s resolutions are somehow different, they’re not. I want to be healthier. I want to get more crap done. The end.
Oh, you want specifics? Well, alright:
- Consistently wake up at 5:40 a.m. Stay tuned for Monday’s post on why it has to be exactly 5:40. (Hint: Harry S.)
- Exercise five to six days a week, including weight training on four of those days. Not because I’m striving to be at any particular weight–which is really a first for me–but because it makes me feel so gosh darned good.
- Drink less alcohol. I’m not a huge drinker, but I’ve really given my liver a run for its money this past month. It’s time to give it a break.
- Learn Russian through DuoLingo. Lifetime learning is always a great thing. Also, this fulfills one of my 30 Before 30 items.
- Hold weekly Cinema Master Classes with myself. I haven’t thought through this one much, but right now we’re sinking $8/month in a Netflix DVD subscription we don’t use. This, combined with my aspiration to be well-versed in movies, means a weekly Film Date makes sense. I just have to figure out the best time for it. No boys allowed. Unless they really want to join.
- Call home once a week. I don’t talk to my parents enough.
- Blog regularly. This is really the one all three of you have been waiting for. (Love ya, Mom!) Seriously. I’ma do it. I’ma set a Habit Tracker for myself, and do advance posts, and everything.
I also have a lot of hopes and dreams for this year. So, in some ways, that’s different? I just see a lot of good things ahead. Or, to put it in slightly more cocky terms, “My future’s so bright, I gotta wear shades!” Including:
- Get an agent and sell my first book. I’m close! Well, to finishing the revisions on my book. I can’t tell you how close I am to actually getting an agent, because for all I know, my stuff might stink.
- Push out a kid. I told you. Thirty before thirty. If my body cooperates.
- Visit Norway. This one might not happen, honestly. The coming year promises to be busy for one particular member of the Huffman family, and if the baby thing happens, it will limit our options for travel. Plus, you know. Budgetary stuff. But maybe! I’m definitely keeping my options open on this one!
So, okay. Maybe my future isn’t as bright and shiny as I thought, but those three things combined are huge. I feel like I’m on the brink of something here. (See fortune cookie in photo above. No kidding, that was what I got in my New Year’s Eve Panda takeout!)
But maybe that’s just because it’s a new year.