Not counting the eight-odd blog entries I wrote on this thing last year, I’ve sort of been off the map for two years. Shall I tell you what I’ve done in the mere span of (plus-or-minus) 24 months?
In no particular order:
- I moved from Alabama to Albuquerque.
- Then I moved from Albuquerque to Las Vegas. Yeah, that Las Vegas.
- I worked at two separate optometry practices and learned how to be a kick-butt pretester.
- I broke in my first pair of raw jeans.
- I converted to Eastern Orthodoxy (gush, gush, okay I’ll stop, gush)
- I started singing again, in said Orthodox church choir.
- I rescued four hermit crabs from their sad lives at Big Box Pet Store. (Sadly, one died and another…um…disappeared? But the other two are doing great.)
- I started freelancing for Uproxx Life. (READ: I STARTED GETTING PAID FOR MY WRITING. HUGE CELEBRATION RIGHT THURR.)
- I financed four and a half Kickstarter projects and one BetaBrand project.
- I visited Machu Picchu.
- I became a Nevada resident (today!)
- I tried In-N-Out.
- I watched all of Breaking Bad.
- Then I watched all of Seinfeld.
- I purchased seven more Billy bookshelves from IKEA.
- Then I got really into Marie Kondo’s The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up and KM’ed half my book collection, with the help of Husband.
- I applied for a Fulbright Grant.
- I was rejected for said Fulbright grant.
- I saw two separate Cirque du Soleil shows.
- I got my MFA.
Oh yeah. That last thing on the list. Y’ALL, I DID IT! I COMPLETED MY MASTER OF FINE ARTS IN WRITING FROM VERMONT COLLEGE OF FINE ARTS! I DIDN’T THINK I WOULD BE ABLE TO DO IT, BUT I DID!!!
NBD. But you should probably start addressing me as O Hooded One. You know, for formality’s sake.
Anyway, in all honestly, the MFA was no easy trip. It was the best time I’ve ever had in my life, and I am…just beyond crushed that it’s done, because it’s such a wonderful program and I’m so going to miss the Craftographer’s bi-annual meetup in Vermont, but I’m also 1% relieved that I can now move forward with my writing and make mega buck$$ as the next J.K. Rowling. Cough.
With 25 hours of my week now freed up, I guess it’s about darned time for me to start blogging for my friends and family (and, cough, fans?) again. I know. You all are so reluctant to read about the goings-on of my daily lives. Here’s the good news: I got this app called HabitTracker and I’m absolutely OCD about maintaining my habit streaks, so you might just see me blogging two or three times a week from now on. We shall see.