And just like that, it’s 2017. No, there is no baby news, so don’t ask me, because you might just get your head bitten off. (But, teehee, he’s got the hiccups right now, so at least that’s entertaining!)
I haven’t exactly been the most consistent blogger in the past year…or since I really started this thing…but I’m hoping to change that this coming year. After all, what better time is there for me to be ambitious than when I’m about to push a tiny human out of my body and, you know, be in charge of caring for its needs 24/7? New motherhood? How hard can it be? The baby needs to learn to work around my routine. Come on.
But really. In spite of how crazy it seems to be making resolutions at 40 weeks and 2 days pregnant, I’m doing it anyway. Because I always like to have something to work toward, and it will be nice (theoretically…in my head…right now…) to have goals to look forward to when I’m sleep-deprived, unshowered, and covered in baby goo.
Here’s what I’d like my 2017 to look like, personally-speaking:
- I really would like to get this blog off the ground. I’m still deciding what that means, though. Probably a re-design, and maybe a new name to boot, but that’s still up in the air. I like to talk about myself, is the problem. And I’m having trouble picking a coherent theme. Because I like to talk about everything about myself. But still! I might try monetizing. Joining the ranks of the 1,000,000 mommy bloggers out there. Yay.
- Speaking of monetization, I have a fab idea for an e-book. Because I’m a lame sellout. Details to come, but how awesome would it be to have a guidebook for pregnancy, with checklists of food and exercises, and to-do’s for each week? Hey, I’d drop a few bucks for that.
- I’m going to simultaneously complete BookRiot’s Read Harder challenge and read 10 books from my ClassicQuest list. I know I won’t be able to keep up with my monthly “packet” reading, but I can at least work on chipping away slowly at my ClassicQuest. Audiobooks are completely permitted here.
- I’m going to completely nail this pre-baby body thing via GymnasticBodies. I won’t bring you down with my pregnancy body feelz, because I’m trying to remember that my body is doing the hard work of growing a human being and to let it do what it wants to do, but I’ll be honest with you — I’m ready to claim it as my own again, in both the I-can-drink-alcohol sense and the fitness sense. So, y’all? I’m super excited. I received the GymnasticBodies Foundation I Series for Christmas and then bought the Thrive nutrition program with some extra Christmas money. I’ve seen it work wonders in others, and have no doubt that it will be great for me.
- I’m going to kill a No-Spend month or six. I came across this pretty cool Goals spread for my bullet journal and of course had to copy it to a tee. Whoever set it up was proposing a No-Spend month every other month…which might be an unattainable goal for me…but why not try? The first one is scheduled to start tomorrow. Huzzah.
- I’m also going to kill some 30-day focuses. No coffee, no sugar, no alcohol, NaNoWriMo, and daily short stories. Fun, fun, fun. Not all at once, of course. Ha! I can’t even imagine. I’d be the dead woman churning out words like a zombie. And of course I’ll write about my experiences herrrrrre.
- I’m going to knock out some 40 Before 40 goals. Yeah, there’s a 40 Before 40. Since I am no longer qualified to work on my 30 Before 30 list. I’ll give you all the deets in a separate post, though. Something to look forward to!
- I’m going to watch all of the 2016 inductees into the National Film Registry. I didn’t do so well with Movie Night last year, but I’ve got a list to work through this time, sooooo…
- I’m going to make it a point to travel, gosh darn it! Everywhere from Valley of Fire to the Grand Canyon to, possibly, the country of Georgia. I’ve got ambitions this year. Baby H. is going to be a travel baby.
Of course, I’m also going to be a mom (!), which means I have a few baby resolutions; namely:
- Be the best mom ever. Is that too much to strive toward? Okay, fine. Be the best mom I can be for Baby H. Learn on the job. Be present. Practice Montessori-style parenting. Don’t be a sanctimommy, but also maintain my standards.
I guess that’s the only mom resolution I have for now. Does that make me awful? Meh. My kid will have a magical childhood whether or not I’m a Pinterest mom who makes cake pops from scratch for his first birthday.
By the way, if you want a refresher of what I resolved to do last year, you can see it here. I’d say I did 30% well. Uh, literally. Of 10 resolutions, I completed about three of them. I haven’t managed to push out a kid, but trust me — I woulda by now if I coulda. The thing is fully-baked and too comfortable, at this point. My blogging lagged, my Russian is non-exisistant, and the Norway trip has been pushed to the future, only because by the time we did have the chance to take it, I was too pregnant to go. But I have drastically cut back on my alcohol intake — not exactly by choice, of course, but I’ll claim a success where I can — and I did pretty good at maintaining a consistent exercise and wake-up routine this year.
So maybe last years’ failures mean I won’t kill my resolutions for this year, but it’s always nice to at least think about getting myself out of the rut of the everyday* and striving for self-betterment. If it means I get a few books read and movies watched in the process, I will take it.
*Please note the correct usage of “everyday.” This may turn into a ranty post in the future. Or maybe I’ll just swallow my pride and move on.